Monday, May 14, 2012

Lose Yourself



Everyone was born with certain personality traits. Some are creative, some are outspoken, some are quiet, some are strong willed, some are dependable and the list goes on.

One of my traits (especially when I was younger) was being outspoken. If I had an opinion or was feeling some kind of way about something, someone knew it! Sometimes this "freedom of expression" would get way out of hand. Especially when it came to the people that I loved and cared about. I felt like if I couldn't be honest with them, I couldn't be honest with anyone (no matter how brutal that honesty was). And on those rare occasions when I kept my mouth shut, I felt like little pieces of me were dying inside. 

Little did I know that THAT was precisely the point! If we are to do the will of God, we must die. Not physically but die to our flesh and live in the Spirit. 

So what does this all mean? To kill your flesh and feed (or walk in) the Spirit? Why I'm glad you asked my friend!

Galatians 5:19-21 tells us what it looks like when we are walking in our fleshly ways. It says, "The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissension, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God."

That is a long list of things! I'm sure many of us can pinpoint a few areas where we struggle. On top of all that, we also often tend to justify our poor thoughts and actions. You know, "well if he hadn't…" "but she said (enter what she said) first." "ooh they work my nerves!" or even "it just feels right/ good." Sound familiar? Just imagine if you were acting in these ways and all of sudden you look up and Jesus was standing right in front of you? Dun dun dunnnn! How would you feel to know that He saw you acting in these ways? Better yet, how do you think it makes Him feel? Well guess what, He's always there and He knows! The great thing about feeling that sting in your heart as you read is that you know which areas you need to fight against. 

Fight? Yes. Fight! Fight against all those negative feelings. Fight against everything that the world says is ok when we know that God has strictly forbidden. Fight against anything that makes us act ugly. Now I'm not saying if someone makes you mad or hurts your feelings, punch them in the face and fight. Ephesians 6:12 says "we do not fight against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." This is a spiritual battle! 

How do we fight this battle? There are many ways… fasting, prayer, worship, just to name a few. But we can start by focusing on the fruits of the Spirit.

Galatians 5:22-24 shows us what it looks like to walk in the Spirit. It states "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Jesus Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires."

These things are all great when you read them. They make you feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. However, they can be hard to remember when someone or something is pushing your buttons. But remember, we are only responsible for what we think and do, regardless of what someone else has done or is doing. This is why we must die daily. We have to be intentional about doing what God has called us to to. To love each other, to be patient and slow to anger.  Romans 12 tells us "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is -his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Every morning that we wake up is an opportunity to start over. To give thanks and work towards bringing God glory. He created each of us different. Quiet, feisty, etc. God gave me a voice, a boldness, an ability to say what needs to be said. But what good is it if I don't use it in love?

I challenge you to take those characteristics God has so graciously given to you and use them for His divine purpose. 

Galatians 5:16says, "So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh."

Lose yourself (your fleshly desires). Walk in His Spirit. Walk in His Love.

With Love Always,
JC

No comments:

Post a Comment