Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Quiet Voice

Ever experience that still, quiet voice of God? You know, the one that taps into your heart and reminds you that everything is going to be ok? The one that tells us what we need to be looking for? The one that gives us vision and guidance? Yeah that's the one! The one that reminds you that you are loved and you can actually feel its truth? Yeah that one!

This morning I heard that still, small voice tapping into my inner-most being. Only, it wasn't telling me something I wanted to hear. And while this voice was ever so quiet, it spoke volumes! It said "Jamila, you need to change your attitude." We'll if that isn't a smack in the face before 10am!  This most certainly wasn't what I wanted to hear. And I knew it wasn't me because I was "right." After all, I'm always right! Ha! Yeah right!


Even if I were right (and I was), I was still reminded that I wasn't walking in the Spirit. Did you know that you could be right AND wrong all at the same time? The Bible states, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. (Galatians 5:22, 23 NIV)"  Let me tell you, in my "rightness" I wasn't displaying any of these traits. Well... maybe self-control because I didn't actually say what I was thinking!


But on a serious note, I was dealing in the flesh. None of my thoughts reflected love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness or self control. I didn't even stop to think about what my facial expressions were expressing or what my body language was stating. I'm sure I came off exactly how I was feeling and what I was thinking. Irritated, upset, impatient, etc.


This is not what God wants for us. No doubt we will have these moments of annoyance. However, we cannot let the words or actions of other people change who we are called to be. Huffing and puffing never changed a situation. So if we must do or say anything, it should be to make a situation better. And if it seems like there is nothing we can do, then We must pray. Ask God to cleanse our hearts and our thoughts. Ask for a new prospective. Ask for guidance. Surely He will give it to us if we seek him.


Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added into you
Matthew 6:33


So lets try this... The next time we find ourselves getting irritated or annoyed, lets take 10 seconds to stop, take a deep breath and ask God to help us walk through whatever is going on. Surely he will. We just have to listen to that still, small, quiet voice.

With Love,
JC

No comments:

Post a Comment