Sunday, April 24, 2011

Apologies & Forgiveness: Part 2

Forgiveness

Matthew 6:14-15
Jesus said, 14. "For if your forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

If you revisit part one of this blog you will see where it states that we are to love one another as we love ourselves (Mark 12:31). I spoke of how if someone has done us wrong, we would want an apology and vice versa, if we have wronged someone then we, too, should also apologize. Well guess what?! The same goes for forgiveness!

Sometimes forgiving others can be just as difficult as apologizing when we have been wrong. It can especially be hard if the same thing keeps happening over and over and OVER again. You may even be asking right now "when is enough, enough?" "If it keeps happening, can I stop forgiving? I say NO!

In Matthew 18, Peter asks Jesus, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?" And Jesus answered, "I tell you , not seven times, but seventy-seven times."

Jesus also said in Luke 17:3-4, 3."If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them. 4. Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying 'I repent.' you MUST forgive them."

Now notice in verse three, Jesus said to rebuke them who sin against you, meaning that you have the right not to be a doormat for someone to sin against you, hurt you or abuse you. But, He also said that if they ask for forgiveness, you must forgive them.

You may be wondering what it means to truly forgive someone. To forgive according to the Oxford English Dictionary, means to grant free pardon and to give up all claim on account of an offense or debt. It is also the process of concluding resentment, indignation or anger as a result of perceived offenses, difference or mistake, and/or ceasing to demand punishment or restitution.

What forgiveness doesn't mean is to say "Ok, I forgive." and next week remind that person of the time they… I know you know what I'm talking about. Forgiveness doesn't mean to have conditions either. The way I see it either your choose to forgive or you don't. There is no "I forgive you, but you have to…" or "The only way I will forgive you is  if you…" Either you do or you don't. Simple.

Some say "forgive and forget." I say forgive and remember! Not remember the person and their offense, but the lessons learned from the situation. No one deserves, after apologizing, to have an offense held over their heads. After all, you wouldn't want that for you… However, you should remember what you learned so that you may guard yourself against these things happening to you continually.

Also keep in mind that forgiveness is not about the other person. Forgiveness is for you. When you forgive someone, not only do you allow God to forgive you, but you also free yourself from any hurt, anger, resentment and any other baggage that you may be carrying through life. Let it go! And know, too, that you don't have to wait for an apology to forgive.

There is no greater sacrifice than the sacrifice that Jesus made by dying on the cross so that, no matter how unworthy we are, our sins would be forgiven. So who are we that we shouldn't forgive our brothers and sisters? Go Ahead. I dare you. Forgive them and BE FREE!

With Love Always,
JC

2 comments:

  1. God is so Good. He sends such literature, and people my way when I am feeling confused! Just when I thought that I was en route to forgiving a certain individual, his name was brought up and I still felt funny. Not the same sharp pain, but it wasn't a feeling of peace either. One thing that I often worry (sin) about is when or if I see this person what will I do? How will I feel? I do NOT want to become irrate nor do I want to be fake about what I am feeling either. I have praying for the soul tie to be broken, and I feel and believe that it will be soon. The Lord has catapulted me in many ways since being delivered and seeking his face. Glad, happy, estatic are just far too simple in expressing how I am so glad that God chose me to deliver his message. I guess, what I am trying to ask, is this. How does one prepare him or herself for the next level in forgiving? How does one prepare him or herself for a possible sighting? I try to stay engulfed in the word, so I can have things to equip myself with when the devil attacks, but sometimes, and I do mean some times, its hard for me to shake the feeling of anger or disgust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing wrong with being angry or hurt. Those are feelings that, as humans, we are going to feel. However, it becomes a sin when you begin to act on those feeling and treat others in an ungodly manner. The best thing i can tell you is to stay in the word and continue to pray. God will always reveal to you the best ways to handle a situation. You just have to be willing to be still and listen for which ever way He choses to reach you.
    Another thing I can say, that has worked for me, is to pray whenever those feelings of anger or hurt or whatever it is comes into your thoughts. You have to nip it in the butt as soon as you recognize it. Tell it to get behind you because they have no business in your life. Please know that these things will still take time to get past, but when you constantly bring God into these areas, you'll be surprised at how He moves and how easy it is when you have these encounters.
    I pray that this has helped you and pray for peace to be with you and God to guide you! Take Care and Be Blessed

    ReplyDelete