Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tis The Season

Right now our power is out due to the storm last night. In my house it is cold and it is dark. My baby's hands are cold, the food in the refrigerator is spoiling and I can't turn on the stove to make a hot meal. This is only a glimpse of what some people out there are going through everyday. The electricians will come, fix the power line and my lights will be on in a few hours but what about those who aren't so fortunate?

We've all heard he phrase, "It is much better to give than receive."But I'm sure we all love to receive things too! Thats one of the fun parts about the holiday season - the hustle of shopping, the anticipation of Christmas day, and finally knowing that a someone else has thought of you when you open that present. Again, what about those who aren't so fortunate? 

For me, it always warms my heart when I can give something that puts a smile on another person's face. And sometimes, that feeling is even better than when I receive something myself. This Christmas I'm asking for others to, if they are able, help make someone else's Christmas a little brighter.

If you aren't quite sure how or where to get started, here are a few ideas:
Your local mall may be hosting and Angel Tree where you can pick a name of a child or a family and purchase gifts for them.You can try seeing if your bank provides stockings that you can fill and bring back. Similar to the Angel Tree, your church or the Salvation Army may have persons that need help during this time. And finally, one of my personal favorites, the United Way website. There you can find lots of opportunities for community service, providing meals for the homeless and even sponsoring families. The great thing about United Way is that they provide this information year-round. 

The holidays are a time to be with family, friends and loved ones. It is also a great time to help those you may not even know. I'm sure it will put a smile on there face and warmth in your hearts. Let's lend a hand this holiday and every season thereafter. 

And guess what... Upon finishing up this entry, my lights came back on! BEAUTIFUL!

JC

1 comment: