Sunday, October 31, 2010

Beautiful Tears

Have you ever cried? Of course you have, you're only human! If you're like me, you cry all the time. It doesn't matter the reason, happy, sad, afraid, angry,or overjoyed, you cry. But if you're like me you also don't like for others to see you cry. In some ways crying can be viewed as undignified. Some see it as a sign of weakness (unless of course there is a tragedy). Some even believe that crying is just for babies and children. It can seem socially unacceptable for people to shed tears. I struggled with this until very recently I felt as if I were set free! 

I was at a Bible study where I was filled with emotion. I couldn't help but cry and even though I was already crying, I still tried to fight my tears. I hate, I mean HATE for people to see me cry. It doesn't matter what the reason is for my tears, I would really not like for others to view me as a "punk." In the midst of my battle with my tears, a woman name Linda released me. She told me something that I had never heard before. She told me that my tears were beautiful, that they show my ability to feel,  no matter what the feelings were. Linda said that we were not meant to be chameleons. God put our tear ducts in our eyes and not under our arms so that we and our feelings would be transparent to others. She also challenged me to think back to see why I felt so strongly about not allowing others to see me cry. And you know what? I can't really think of any reason, at least a good reason, why I should be ashamed of my tears. The ability to feel is a wonderful thing. What is more amazing is the ability to express those feelings. 

Now don't get me wrong… There is a difference between having tears due to emotion and throwing yourself a pity party. Going on and on about your "woe is me" isn't serving anyone and it sure isn't helping you if you aren't taking any action. However, to communicate with someone and be open in sharing your feelings can be a great thing. 

Colin Raye said "I laugh, I love, I hope, I try, I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry. And I know you do the same things too, So we're really not that different, me and you." Don't be afraid of your tears. When you allow others to see your true emotions, it frees them to open up and be themselves too. It also gives them the opportunity to see you. And let's face it, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! 

JC

2 comments:

  1. I always struggle with tears. Not that I want to... but in my work with people with disabilities, there are times when I'm really moved but must remain professional. I probably cry the most in front of my husband. Thank goodness he gets me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel vulnerable when I cry. I am like you in the since that I have no good reason for hiding my tears other than when we were little you would hear "stop that crying. . .we're in public" or "there is no reason to cry. . . I will give you a reason to cry" i.e. shame/embarrassment or fear. The person I am with now has seen me cry more than anyone and in a sense I am relieved that he doesn't judge me he just lets me breathe/exhale and holds me. I agree no pity parties but it is nice to let it out every now and then. Yes and thank goodness he gets me. . .

    ReplyDelete